Monday 12 September 2011

Alias Grace ~ A Basic Introduction

The other day, we were chosen to pick a book in English, and I chose Alias Grace, a historical fiction novel based on a true story; that of Grace Marks. This novel was written by Margaret Atwood in 1996. The number of pages in this novel is 470-so it's a good read as far as length goes.
There are a  few reasons why I chose to do this novel; firstly, the novel is set in Toronto, not far from my own home. Secondly, this story really leaves you wondering, "What happens next?" since this is a mystery/suspense novel. Also, from what I have read so far, it seems that Grace's point of view is "could haves", which really makes me wonder if she is being truthful or not. Thirdly, it's the murder aspect of the novel that I find rather bewitching-after all, don't you wonder who did it? Convicted doesn't mean you did it (in a few cases.)


So far from what I have read, I find this book to be both an attention-grabber and very hard to put down. So far in the book, the first chapter is a bit confusing, since you don't really know what's going on, and then it shifts to 1859, where Grace is in prison, telling us where she is now; which is prison. She then begins to talk about how she got to where she is. The relationships that are mentioned in a poem in chapter 2 are rather intruging, which leads one to keep reading trying to find out how and why this happens.

Currently I have read up to the beginning of chapter 3, and thus far I find this book to be one you should at least give a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment